I don't think the colon is a valid URL character:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

"only alphanumerics, the special characters "$-_.+!*'(),", and
   reserved characters used for their reserved purposes may be used
   unencoded within a URL"

So, although it might be nice to get the error you were expecting from ZF,
behaviour can reasonably be undefined if you're passing in illegal
characters.

You should encode the colon if you need to use it.