I have been having the same problem as detailed above.
In my template i am displaying my form elements like this - without any
decoration cos the decorators have caused me endless amounts of trouble.

<dd><?=$this->formCheckbox($this->form->other_venue->getName(),
$this->form->other_venue->getValue(),
$this->form->other_venue->getAttribs()); ?></dd>

but i found that passing the value here is stopping the checkbox value from
being passed back when the form is submitted. When i instead used:

<dd><?=$this->formCheckbox($this->form->other_venue->getName());

The value was being passed back but the checkbox was still not getting
prepopulated. I know its ugly but i ended up having to check if the checkbox
is set and if so then pass the value otherwise dont!!

     <dd>
        <?
                if ($this->form->other_venue->isChecked()) {
                        echo
$this->formCheckbox($this->form->other_venue->getName(),
$this->form->other_venue->getValue(),
$this->form->other_venue->getAttribs());
                }
                else {
                        echo
$this->formCheckbox($this->form->other_venue->getName());
                }
?>

This utterly reeks of a hack but i have searched high and low for a solution
to my problem and found nothing. Ultimately i need a solution whether its
elegant or not. hope it helps someone else.
Note that the approach i am using above for outputting without decorators
comes from:
http://monzee.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/decorators-are-hard-lets-go-shopping/