$front  = Zend_Controller_Front::getInstance();
$router = $front->getRouter();

$router->removeDefaultRoutes();

$router->addRoute(new Zend_Controller_Router_Route(
    ':username',
    array(
        'module'     => 'user',
        'controller' => 'profile',
        'action'     => 'view'
    )
));

$router->addRoute(new Zend_Controller_Router_Route_Module(
    array(), $front->getDispatcher(), $front->getRequest()
));

That's untested, but I believe it should work.

Hope that helps,

-Matt