I have a custom Controller extending Zend_Controller_Action and all my other
controllers extend it

Here it is:

<?php
class App_Controller extends Zend_Controller_Action
{
        protected $_redirector;
        protected $_flashMessenger = null;

        public function init()
        {
                parent::init();
                $this->_flashMessenger  =
$this->_helper->getHelper('FlashMessenger');
                $this->_redirector = $this->_helper->getHelper('Redirector');
                $this->initView();
        }

        protected function flash($message,$to)
        {
                $this->_flashMessenger->addMessage($message);
                $this->_redirector->gotoUrl($to);
        }

        protected function setMessages()
        {
                $this->view->messages = join("
",$this->_flashMessenger->getMessages());
        }
    public function postDispatch()
        {
                parent::postDispatch();
                $this->setMessages();

Now I get no errors but messages not getting placed in the view i.e.
$this->messages is always empty???   Now if I put this code in my
controllers

class IndexController extends App_Controller //Zend_Controller_Action
{

    public function init()
    {
        /* Initialize action controller here */
                parent::init();
    }

    public function indexAction()
    {
        // action body
        $this->view->messages =
join("",$this->_flashMessenger->getMessages());
    }

        public function testAction()
    {
        // action body
        $this->flash('TEST FLASH','/');

It works fine.  I am totally missing something I guess Matthew helped me get
passed the errors as I was forgetting to call parent::init();    This one
baffles me. The above base Controller works great pre 1.8.  I am still doing
new customer sites the way I did them before 1.8 so I can keep in business.
Just learning on one of my personal sites to understand 1.8 changes

Thx Again Community / Matthew for the help

Eric