A couple of additional ways...

3) Add the layout setup code to the controller init method.

4) If you find yourself having to do the above a lot, create an action
helper with the layout setup code which you would then call in the
controller init method or wherever you need it.

Just wanted to throw those out there though if it were me I think I would
prefer 1 or 2. The ZF is very flexible and will bend to your will!!