Never mind, I figured it out. Makes sense, of course...

        $configPath = $this->_root . '/application/config.xml';
        $frontend = array(
            'master_files' => array(
                $configPath),
            'automatic_serialization' => true);
        $backend = array();
        $cache = Zend_Cache::factory('File', 'Memcached', $frontend,
$backend);
        if (! ($config = $cache->load('configXml'))) {
            $config = new Zend_Config_Xml($configPath, $this->_env);
            $cache->save($config, 'configXml');
        }