First you need to know this:
A resource (most time) creates something (a view, db, log, whatever). You
might want to grab this "thing", but sometimes you need the access to the
plugin itself.

The getResource() gets the "thing" for you. The getResourcePlugin() gets the
plugin. So you might have a db resource, returning the db adapter. Then, it's
enough to do:
$db = $this->getResource('db');

It might you want to have access to a certain method of the resource plugin.
Then, you do this:
$result = $this->getPluginResource('db')->doSomething();

You could trick the outcome of getResource() by implementing a "get" method.
So your db resource needs a (public) function getDb(), which will return a db
adapter instance.

Regards, Jurian
--
Jurian Sluiman