I guess I don't see how comparing the two is "totally flawed".  You should
compare solutions for the dimensions that matter to your use case--in the
case of large indices, performance will undoubtedly be one of those
dimensions.  I had a similar experience with Zend_Search_Lucene and
concluded that Apache Solr was orders of magnitude more suitable to
enterprise solutions.

For a blog or small index, Zend_Search_Lucene is fine, however.  That's not
to disparage it in any way.  PHP is just not well-suited for these kinds of
things.

-Matt