Thats pretty much how i do it - even for small stuff like one-off static
pages. Its just easier in my work flow and that way i have a record of
everything done and a continuous backup without having to trying to figure
out if i need to revert to "site_old_1", "site_old_2" or "site_old_3" :-)

Never really use continuous integration though.