Hi
Found another (better) way to customize the error messages

$validator = new Zend_Validate_File_Upload();
$validator->setMessages(array('fileUploadErrorNoFile' => 'Upload an
image!''));

$image = new Zend_Form_Element_File('image');
$filesmall->setLabel('Image:')
          ->setDestination('./temp')
          ->addValidator('Size', true, '1MB')
          ->addValidator('Extension', true, 'jpg')
          ->addValidator('Count', true, 1)
          ->addValidator($validator)    <-----------
          ->setRequired(true);
cheers