Just say that I do not know how it would be bad or good.
But I think that if you add in zf possibility of creating separate
configuration files for different resources.
So this would make some options for certain resources in separate files.
Naturally, at the request of the application developer.
This would simplify the writing, reading and understanding of the long
descriptions of the settings.
The structure of these configurations could be easier.
Since the configuration in a single file is intended only for a single
resource, you not need to write long lines in this file is not needed.

For example, Zend_Naviagtion instead of the next line.

resources.navigation.pages.home.label = "Home"

Should be written in the file "configs/resources/navigation.ini".

pages.home.label = "Home"

That is, without resources.name_of_resource.

The structure of the sections remain the same as application.ini.

And information from the configuration file of resources combined with the
main configuration file application.ini.

Of course, the settings should be loaded automatically when you boot
resource.

Maybe it's not very good, but I do not insist that this is a reasonable
solution.