On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Daniel Latter <dan.lat...@gmail.com>wrote:

> OK thanks for the replies, I understand your reasons but this too seems
> unmanageable, say if you have 50 customers, thats 50 databases!!? or am I
> missing somthing?

This isn't so terrible, sandboxing accounts to their own databases makes
your model code a lot simpler (for example, you don't need to pass around an
account id, join and filter every single query).

You can also backup and restore whole accounts using mysqldump instead of
some kind of custom built solution. You can also, (very easily) break off
clients to separate boxes should they generate enough traffic (or pay for
the privilege).

The only con is building an administrative interface may be a bit more
complicated, though I'd rather have the majority of bugs in an app I deal
with, than the one my customers work with.

- jake