Just to explain the situation.
I need to split a pdf file in group of pages per file.
Since is not possible to clone/copy a page in a different document what I am
doing is cloning the $pdf object and deleting all the pages that are not
need and then save to a file.
If I open the file (with a pdf reader) I correctly see only the remaining
pages but if I open it with a text editor the deleted pages are still there.

Then I tried to use the render($newSegmentOnly=true and save($filename,
$updateOnly =true method (which should be the same as calling
render($newSegmentOnly, $fileresource)).
In both cases I get a file with the exact number of pages I expect but all
the pages are empty.
May be I am doing something wrong.... Any hint?