Actually, I believe that ajaxContext does not use the "format" request
parameter.  Your problem is likely that the client is not sending the
proper headers.

Your best solution would be to use the contextSwitch helper instead,
and change your AJAX calls to pass the format parameter, or to throw
an exception when !$this->getRequest()->isXmlHttpRequest() for actions
that MUST be called via AJAX.  You might even want to put all of these
calls in their own controller, and throw the error to remain DRY.

--
A.J. Brown
Software Engineer, ZCE