For the sake of completion, I should point out that that isn't a problem,
and Zend_Rest_Route works just fine in sub directories.

It ended up being the codepath i thought was happening wasn't, it went
around that through a ridiculous chain of redirections through three or four
controllers that actually ended up coming back to the right controller in
some situations but failing in others. Sorry to have bothered the list over
my own bugs!