Hello,

As far as I can see it's valid, but not very recommended. Or my english is
not good enogh :)) XHTML 1.0 states:

If it encounters an entity reference (other than one of the entities defined in
this recommendation or in the XML recommendation) for which the user agent
has processed no declaration (which could happen if the declaration is in the
external subset which the user agent hasn't read), the entity reference should
be processed as the characters (starting with the ampersand and ending with
the semi-colon) that make up the entity reference.

And XHTML DTD has nbsp entity reference as:

<!ENTITY nbsp   "&#160;">

Correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstanding something...

--
Sincerely yours,
Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

*Origin: Happy Hacking!