You can instantiate a controller like any other class, but you'll need to
pass the request and response to the constructor. From there, if your method
is public, you should be able to call it no problem.

However, I'm not sure if the built-in autoloader is set up to handle
controllers. You may need to require_once the file or provide your own
autoloader implementation.

Also, you may want to consider moving that function into your model layer.
Overall it's much easier to reuse functions if they are part of your models
instead of within controllers.

--
Hector