Where exactly are you executing var_dump("TESTING");?
It's possible that the plugin event methods are executed more than
once. Consider the following actions:
    public function fooAction()
    {
        echo 'fooAction()<br />';
        $this->_forward('bar');
    }

    public function barAction()
    {
        echo 'barAction()<br />';
    }

if you then register this controller plugin:
class Vendor_Controller_Plugin_Test extends Zend_Controller_Plugin_Abstract
{

    public function preDispatch(Zend_Controller_Request_Abstract $request)
    {
        $this->getResponse()->appendBody('preDispatch()<br />');

you'll get the following output when calling fooAction:

preDispatch()
fooAction()
preDispatch()
barAction()

This will happen whenever you use _forward (could be triggered in
another controller plugin - e.g. to forward non-authenticated users -
too!) and is expected behaviour. I guess the same applies to the
action() view helper.

hope this helps.