The Singleton pattern might be a good idea at first, but be cautious about
maintainability in the future. Accessing a Singleton is much like accessing
a global variable and introduces many of the same  problems.

For example, it can be difficult or tricky to unit test a class that loads a
Singleton dependency on it's own. Instead, you'll want to inject that
dependency using the constructor or a setter method.

Singletons, like global variables, also introduce "hidden" dependencies. In
other words, it's not obvious the class Foo depends on Singleton class Bar
without looking through the source of Foo. This can make maintenance and
reuse difficult.

Generally I try to avoid singletons like the plague for the reasons above.
To avoid creating duplicate instances, create it once (usually in a
controller or, better yet, using an action helper) and inject it into
whatever objects will need it.

I hope this helps :)

--
Hector Virgen