Since you're using transactions I don't see why there would be such a big
difference between Zend_Db and mysql_query(). Have you tried running this
several times and averaging the results?

If these results are consistent, you might want to try modifying your timer
so you can see how long it takes to build the query and execute the query
separately. And also time the commit() call mysql_query() equivalent.

--
*Hector Virgen*
Sr. Web Developer