I'm using the application resource cache manager which uses Capture for it's
frontend, so the whole page is cached by default, and if a hit is found in
the cache, the majority of the zf stack is bypassed and the cached page is
served instead. I'm caching front end pages as they have database content,
and only really need to be loaded from the database when the content has
changed. Other sections of the site, especially the admin/restricted
section, communicate with different web services, such as youtube, and can
take several seconds to render the page. These pages are perfect candidates
to be cached, but then the admin-only page is being stored in a public
directory.

Adding a .htaccess to /public/cache with

Order deny,allow
Deny from all

stops the cached files from being served at all.