Hi all,

In the past we've been reluctant to solve an issue inside Zend_Db_Statement::_stripQuoted() that caused PHP's PCRE to seg-fault and crash.

http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-5063
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-10209

We've been reluctant for a number of reasons:

  * the problem is not directly in ZF, but in PHP's PCRE
  * the problem is only exposed on certain architectures
  * fixing the problem might cause unintended BC issues

That said, given the amount of research a number of contributors have put into the matter, primarily by Bart McLeod, we feel comfortable moving forward with this fix for ZF 1.12 as it gives developers some flexibility in avoiding the problem, and the fix is fairly well tested against BC issues.

I will let Bart get into the complexities of the fix, but I would like everyone to test what is currently in _trunk_ if you have large SQL that is being passed through Zend_Db.

Thanks!
Ralph Schindler