Jean-Pierre Vidal wrote:
>>What is the definition of a beginner?
>>I think anybody is a beginner the first time (s)he plays golf.
>>Is this correct?

        Here, I would take the Zen approach and say that
beginnership is something personal. If you turn your
gaze inward (metaphorically speaking, unless you want
to freak out the kids), you will know if you are. And,
likewise, you will just know when you will step out of
beginnerdom and boldly take your first steps into
the dark woods that stretch beyond its frontiers.

        And of course, stepping out of beginnerdom is
not the end of the trek. Long is the way before one
can be truly called a master. For instance I can't,
I guess, be called a beginner anymore. However, I'm
merely being generally silly, whereas the true masters
are demented. :)

Ton Hospel wrote:
> In fact, maybe we should drop the whole expert/beginner thing and have a
> PGA rating.
> Something like: in one game the winner gets 100 points, others get one
> less for each stroke worse (cut of at 0)

> new_rating = (9 * old_rating + game_score)/10
> (possibly weighted depending on the game)

> not playing is -2, unless you host the game.
> Everybody starts at 75, you can't go below 0

        Ooooh... That could be amusing...

Joy,
`/anick

--