>I've experienced an apparent failure of my CD player under OSX which seems
>to replicate under Classic and a stand-alone 9.1 partition OS as well.
>Yesterday the CD player worked fine, today no-go.
>
>System is a G3 Pismo, 500mHz, 384MB RAM, with 12Gig in 3 partitions: OSX,
>Classic, and a 9.1 stand-alone partition.
>
>At attempt to start from the CD when booting to any OS (X, Classic, or 9.1
>stand-alone), the CD spins for about a half second and then quits. Check of
>Apple System Profiler recognizes the CD player, albeit without CD when one
>is loaded. Check with Norton/Techtools finds nothing.
>
>I'm assuming that the CD player is still working and suspect (HOPE!) that
>I've simply inadvertently messed up a setting somewhere.
>
>Any suggestions or comments short of reinstalling software?

If it is consistant between OS X and OS 9.1, then it's almost
completely certainly not a software issue. Also, if something doesn't
work under OS X, it's unlikely to work in Classic (there are
exceptions, but the CD drive isn't one of them). Also, if it won't
even boot to the CDs that came with it, it's definitely not software,
as no software has even loaded at that point.

The best things to try are reseating the drive (taking it out,
putting it back in) and resetting the power manager. On the Pismo,
you hit the little reset button next to the modem and wait another 5
seconds before powering on the unit. If these fail to fix the
problem, it's probably a dead drive....

 Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
 -- Enter to win a FREE Titanium G4 PowerBook! -- |  & CDRWs on Sale!  |

Velocity Upgrades - Mac Memory Factory Direct. 128 MB for 9600, 8600,
7600 - $79.99; 64MB for 6500, 6400, 5400 - $39.99; 32 MB for 9600, 8500,
7300 - $24.99 <http://www.backbeatmedia.com/wcgi-bin/velocity.cgi>

Star Trek Collection: Movies 1-7 on VideoCD, $38.88 from CoolVCD
<http://lowendmac.com/ad/coolvcd.html>
- - - - -
List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/g-books/>

<http://www.applelinks.com>