You know Peter, we were all young, ONCE ;)

Youth isn't a crime, and knowledge is gained from every experience.
Unfortunately, some people, when they feel challenged by someone else's
knowledge, tend to blame them for causing the vary problem that they
have resolved.  Don't take it personally.

I will suggest though that there is good reason for some people to be
suspicious of uncertified "Computer Techies".  I have had to clean up
messes left by people who 'knew' what they were doing.  Credentials
simply say that at some point and time, you did know what you claim to
know.  The fact of the matter is that when you have obtained your
education, you won't have all the answers, but you will have a far
better understanding of where to find the answers you need!  The true
irony is that skill and qualifications don't always go together, and I
am sure everyone on this list can confess to knowing some highly
educated idiots!

Kris McGrath

Peter Graening wrote:

> Where I'm from, if you don't have any qualification, you don't matter. :-)
> Makes it really hard for me to fix people's computers a lot because #1 I'm
> under 18, #2, I have no college degree (starting that this summer tho) and
> #3 I'm too cheap.  I let people pay me A LOT less than what the "computer
> people" around town charge - like my rate is $15 and everyone else's is $75.
> I always feel that no one should be denied access to technology, and money
> should definitely not be a barrier.
> Other than that, I've had a lot of experience being on the "bad side" of
> computers... supposedly!  I use only the Macs at our school, which is one
> lab, and only use the non-Macs when class requires it.  But when something
> goes wrong, for some odd reason, it's my fault - mostly because when
> something does go wrong I know how to fix it right away and permanently,
> too.
>
> The funny thing I like to say about Macs and PCs is this: I learned how to
> use and fix PCs a long time ago, and haven't really had to learn anything
> new - it's all rote memorization of new specs.... whereas on the Mac you're
> always learning - especially with OS X - which I have yet to touch but will
> get to soon.  Macintosh keeps your brain alive.
>
> So, all in all, I'm pretty stupid. :-)
>
> Peter

 Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
 -- Enter to win a FREE Titanium G4 PowerBook! -- |  & CDRWs on Sale!  |

Velocity Upgrades - Mac Memory Factory Direct. 128 MB for 9600, 8600,
7600 - $79.99; 64MB for 6500, 6400, 5400 - $39.99; 32 MB for 9600, 8500,
7300 - $24.99 <http://www.backbeatmedia.com/wcgi-bin/velocity.cgi>

Star Trek Collection: Movies 1-7 on VideoCD, $38.88 from CoolVCD
<http://lowendmac.com/ad/coolvcd.html>
- - - - -
List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/g-books/>

<http://www.applelinks.com>