My girlfriend is going through every graduate student's nightmare. She is on
the verge of finishing her dissertation and her powerbook died. She hasn't
backed up for a month, so if we can't recover the data she will have lost a
month's work.

Her computer is slightly off topic, being a PB190cs, but maybe someone on
the list will have a suggestion.

She got a bomb, which I believe said error 10, or something (system 7.6.1).
We restarted and the start up chime wasn't right. The smiling apple face
came up, but hung. We forced reboot again and the chime was even stranger.
After that it wouldnąt boot at all. There is only a faint click when I press
the start button.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

If the computer is not easily repairable, what would be the best way to get
the data off the HD?

I was thinking about taking the HD out and trying to put it in another
laptop, but we only have a PB145 and my pismo (see, not totally off topic).
Checking specs these computers don't seem to have compatible HD interfaces.

Any suggestions or theories would be appreciated.

Jim