I've noted the same sparking issue with the adapter on my Pismo and wondered
about possible problems.

Todd Stauffer of the "Mac Upgrade and Repair Bible" (1998) notes "that one
of the most common reasons for a Power Manager corruption results from
plugging the AC Adapter into the PowerBook first, and then into the wall
(the way you plug in most appliances and electronics). Apple recommends
instead that you plug the adapter into the wall socket or surge protector
first, and then into the PowerBook's AC connector" (page 748).

I haven't had Power Management problems yet, but who want to hazard them
needlessly?
--
Cheers,

Art Russell