On Thursday, July 12, 2001, at 04:33 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sorry if this has been covered before- but yesterday I installed a new
> 32 gig
> IBM travelstar.  Install went well, dragged all files over from 80 gig
> Maxtor, no problem.  Had to fix some broken shortcuts, not a big deal.
> But
> when I closed the cover to move to another room, it wouldn't wake from
> sleep.
>  Had to restart.
> A problem like this was mentioned on Mike Breeden's site in regards to
> the 20
> gig IBM model.  Has anyone experienced this?  Has anyone found a
> solution?
> Thanks in advance!

Many people did experience this with 20 GB IBM drives. I think the
magnetic field that is generated by the drive prevents the magnetic
switch in the PowerBook to detect when the cover is about to be closed.
The solution was to stick something to the drive to cut the magnetic
field. I think it was a little piece of aluminum foil or something like
that. If you further refine your search, you should see references for
that fix. I personally didn't experience this with my TravelStar 20 GB
in my Wallstreet.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Washington, DC, USA
"Heuristics are bug ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs,
then they'd be algorithms."