>So Bill Fischer sez:
>
>>  I have an OS 9.1 update disk. How do you do a clean install with it?
>>
>>  Bill Fischer
>>
>First and foremost, download Clean Install Assistant from Version Tracker -
>http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=922&db=mac
>I think it's a freebie for personal use.
>
>This will make your life _so_ much easier.  It moves the non-Apple items
>from the system folder into another folder, you do your install(s), then it
>will move everything back.

Minor word of warning on Clean Install Assistant.... If there's
really any reason to do a clean install, this app could defeat the
whole purpose... The only real reasons for doing a clean install are
when either Apple or 3rd Party software has corrupted ("hosed") your
system.... if it happens to be 3rd Party stuff that's causing the
problem, having this app move it back into the System Folder will
just corrupt your system again.

>I'm not sure if you need to reinstall 9.0.4 first.  Anyone?  I guess I would
>since you've been having some problems.
>
>I upgraded 9.0.4 to 9.1 without a problem, but my 9.0.4 was running smoothly
>at the time. Yes, I do agree, 9.1 seems more stable.

When doing clean installs, you must use a full-OS cd... if you have a
full OS 9.1 CD, use that. If all you have is a 9.1 Update CD, you'll
need to clean install OS 9.0.x (whatever CD you have), then upgrade
to 9.1.
--

Any statements herein represent my opinion and do not represent those
of my employer.