>> Where's the best place to get the internal (PRAM) battery for a Pismo? Does
>> Radio Shack carry an equivalent?
>>
>> Secondly, has anyone ever replaced one? Is it difficult? Anybody have any
>> web links to the documented procedure?
>
>I highly doubt that you would find that battery at Radio Shack. These are
>pretty much custom made.
>
>That being said, the backup battery is fairly easy to replace. You basically
>pop up the keyboard and it's on the right side, easy to remove.
>
>I would suggest you check with PowerBook Parts for a replacement battery
><http://www.pbparts.com/>. BTW, what makes you think that your backup
>battery has to be replaced? When completely discharged, I've read somewhere
>in Apple documentation that the PowerBook has to be plugged in the AC for at
>least 24 hours before the backup battery will be fully recharged (yes,
>that's a rechargeable battery).
These batteries are 'dual' (i.e. two in one). But they're simply 2
5300/190/1400 batteries in a single casing. I successfully used a 5300
PRAM battery in my Lombard (same PRAM as Pismo/Wallstreet). The lower
power of the 5300 battery means it won't last as a PRAM battery alone for
long [i.e. _without_ the AC or main battery installed, while in sleep
mode], but works fine as a normal PRAM battery. The issue is also cost -
$30-$40 for a Lomb/Piz PRAM v. $3 for a 5300 PRAM (that's what I paid for
mine).

Nevertheless, the OP should look at recharging their PRAM - takes 24-48
hours of the 'Book plugged in.

Cheers,

RD

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor and News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
<http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.