On 3/24/02 9:24 PM, "Remy Davison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Uh oh ... I'm realising right now that I didn't stop for a single second
>> thinking that the expansion bay hard drive could very well not be compatible
>> with X ... I tried an extensive search on the net after reading your mail (I
>> also checked Smartdisk's faq and Apple's knowledge base) but to no avail ...
>> At this point I'm starting to worry (obviously not because of the price I
>> paid for this stuff) because if this hd really should not mount on X's
>> desktop, it would be almost useless ...
>>
>> Is there anybody on the list that already owns one of these things? Can you
>> confirm or deny compatibility with 10.1?
>>
>> I (and Chris too I think) would appreciate any reply on the matter.
> I can't give an exact answer, but my 1st question would be 'why not
> compatible with X'? It's just an ATA hard drive on the bus, same as the
> CD ROM. Drive Setup or whatever puts a driver on it and you're away.
> AFAIK, the MCE device bays are compatible with X, are they not? The CDRWs
> are supported in iTunes.
>
> The big issue with X for PBs so far is 16-bit PCMCIA compatibility - and
> that was meant to be coming, although there's a freeware Darwin OS driver.
>
> cheers,
>
> RD
>
> Remy Davison
> Contributing Editor and News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
> <http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>

I recently ordered one of these drives and I just received my 10 GB drive a
few days ago. I am currently using it with OS X 10.1.3 on a G3 400 Lombard
OB with 384 MB RAM. It works great and all I did was pop it into the bay. No
drivers were required to be loaded. It shows up on the desktop as "VST
Drive" icon. You shouldn't have any problems, if my experience is any
indication.

Regards,
Albert

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.