Hi,

I bought a refurbished TiBook 550/20/DVD with a 1-year warranty from
SmallDog in January, and in the past couple of days I've noticed that
the previously silent hard drive has started making noise-a lot of
it. The drive remains silent for 30 minutes or so after the TiBook is
first started up, but then suddenly it will start spinning loudly,
rapidly, and nonstop. About 20 minutes later it will abruptly get
even faster and louder. It doesn't respond to manual attempts to spin
down, and ignores settings in the Energy Saver Panel (OS 9.2.1) to
spin down as well. Yet when I ran the diagnostic disk that came with
the TiBook, the hard drive passed! I ran an old copy of Tech Tool
Deluxe that came with AppleCare on my iMacs, and it passed the drive,
too. I find it hard to believe that this is NOT a bad drive that
should be replaced, but is it possible that it's a software issue, or
that there's some other explanation that I've overlooked?

Thanks for any insight.

Nancy Butts

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.