on 4/5/02 6:02 PM, (G-Books) at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Not that there will be much of a warranty to void, if these units - along
>> with most of Smartdisk's other expansion bay units - are now out of
>> production.
> True, but nevertheless the warranty has to be honored, as it's a
> statutory obligation in most jurisdictions where they have declared a
> warranty period . It's not the consumer's problem if the company no
> longer makes the product. The most likely failure is the HD - which IBM
> would have to compensate them for and which can be easily replaced.

Apart from the hassle, especially for those who bought the drives thru
online clearing houses like Sparco, etc., my point was that if you need
warranty service, the best you'll probably be able to do is get store
credit, in that there are no more units being made, hence no replacement
drives.

Point 2 is that IBM has been known to be a bit picky regarding how it honors
its warranty on OEM drives - to the point that it won't honor it at all.
I also believe that it isn't all that hard for IBM to check on whether a
drive is OEM or retail, hence the 3-year warranty is a bit iffy.

That said, my plans were to go ahead anyway and stick a bigger drive in the
expansion bay; from what I've seen, it's not too hard. I was then going to
stick the 10GB HD in either a 3400 or 1400. The price was really right on
these units (I'd usually have to pay more for just the bard 10GB drive!), so
it's no surprise they sold out quickly.

Chris H

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.