> Anyone out there familiar with a comparison between the iBook 600mhz
> version and the older TiBook 400mhz? I'm trying to figure out how
> they compare under OSX. I'm really wanting to find some subjective
> comparisons. My quandry is that smalldog has the iBook 600mhz
> 256/20/combo for $1299 and the Powerbook G4/400mhz 128/10/DVD for
> $1449. So I guess my question is this: Is the larger screen, s-video
> out, Dual monitor capability, PCMCIA port, and G4 worth the extra
> given the fact that for most operations, the two computers will
> perform similarly?  This will be a secondary computer to a G4 cube
> that I already own.

If you aren't doing a function specifically multimedia oriented (mp3
encoding, etc, etc) the 600mhz G3 will beat the 400mhz G4 by quite a bit.
Windows in Osx, etc will be a bit snappier on the G4, but not like you'd
think. General stuff will still be faster on the G3.

Airport performance is also drastically better on the ibook, and so is the
build quality of the computer itself. A lot of the "quality issues" were
fixed with the rev.B models (550 & 667) but the originals still suffer from
them. Battery life is a lot better, and it doesn't suffer from the heat
issues of the titanium. The ibook also has a combo drive, which can be handy
as hell.

If the PCMCIA port is an issue, ie for camera cards you can buy a cheap
firewire or USB adapter for them.

Since you already own a cube, and this is just a secondary computer... If it
were me I'd get the ibook. They are just more reliable, and feature rich.

--
Michael Bryan Bell

http://homepage.mac.com/michael_bell/

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.