On 4/29/02 6:05 PM, "(G-Books)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:39:24 -0700
> From: Bruce Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Orinoco
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Anybody know anything about Orinoco wireless? I have zero experience with any
>> wireless, but my neighbor has DSL with Orinoco software and wants me to buy a
>> card from him and share the cost.
>> First, is this legal/ethical? Second, when I tried to install the software on
>> my Lombard, it says it's missing an OT encrypt file.
>
> One, this is not likely to be allowed under his contract for DSL, as
> there is likely a clause in there about 'reselling' bandwidth, which is
> what he'd be doing. Sort of.
>
> That said...it's his bandwidth, and should he decide to use a wireless
> base station there's not a lot he can do to keep you from using it, too,
> so long as you're in range, and you really should make a contribution to
> the cause rather than steal from your neighbor. 8-}

Of course if you're on his non-encrypted network, he can just look on your
machine, get your bank account number etc. and just take what he thinks is
fair for the bandwidth you use.

Seriously, my Orinoco card works great on my Wallstreet (upgraded with Blue
Chip 466), under OS 9 and now under OS X.  It probably depends more on his
router or what he is using to share the DSL connection than upon the Orinoco
SW.  In fact, I don't think I am using any of the software that came with
the card.  Also seriously, since you asked about legal & ethical issues,
Bruce is right about checking the DSL service contract.

Rod

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.