Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> And what is a symptom of these interferences? I have a 2.4GHz phone and my
> ABS in the same room. I didn't notice any problem so far, except that I used
> to be able to travel on the deck with my Pismo and still get a signal, while
> I did notice last weekend that I had problem keeping the signal.

You get dropped connections, and MUCH degraded performance when it hits.
You will only notice it, of course, when your phone and your airport is
on at the same time (and you're using both).

Almost makes the broad-band-less (and Airport-less) me go nyah nyah.

But at 56k it's more like

n     y    a    h      n   y   <yawn>    a   h. ;-P

Microwave ovens will do the same thing, and there's some new kind of
lighting coming online that leaks noise in the same range, potentially
obliterating the use of the 2.4 ghz band (of course, this wipes out
phones as well) in it's vicinity:

http://www.strohpub.com/0701feat.htm

The big problem, of course, is that the FCC never set aside bandwidth
for the exlusive use of wireless communications devices per se...the
bandwidth that Airport and cordless phones us is a sort of 'free for
all' area, (which also includes microwave ovens, medical devices and
industrial equipment) something that Apple and others fought hard to
maintain (because otherwise the FCC would just auction it off to the
highest briber errr bidder, and it would be closed off for general
use.), but also something that makes to so that these people with
freakin' streetlights that emit in the 2.4 ghz range can just blast all
the other devices to oblivion.

What needs to be done is a bandwidth allocation has to be set aside by
the FCC for wireless internetworking alone, but hey, that would require
them to act in the <gasp> *public* interest and that doesn't bring in
enough bribe money, err campaign contributions...:-(

Can't have that!

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona