John: You already have two of the requirements. You have a mac.com mail
account and you must be using Mail in OS X if you see my picture. Now
you just need to set up Apple's new webmail service at webmail.mac.com.
You need to add a photo there (64x64) and anyone using Mail for X will
get the picture. There is a bit of a delay for it to take effect and
make sure you check the little box that enables it. The photos are then
stored on the HDs of the recipients. Look here on your computer:
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.addressservices/Photos

Jim