The only way to manage it would be to periodically choose "Show:
Temporary" or click on the categories column to display the unfiled
category, select them all and delete them. It sounds like the Jaguar
version of Address Book is going to be more useful and more flexible,
but won't be out until September, probably.

More on the thread, I tried out Entourage v.X and liked the synching
features between e-mail, contacts and date book, but the app would crash
at inconvenient times (like moving around list messages off the IMAP
server) and duplicate lots of messages, really irritating. Also, I found
it kind of slow. The rules in Mail are not as flexible and comprehensive
as most of the commercial apps, but for me they're 75% of what I need.
Waiting till September.

--
John Koen
cellist, The Philadelphia Orchestra