Crucial Technology (www.crucial.com) is pretty good.  Right now, you can
get a 512MB module for a Pismo for $186.69 with free shipping.  As for
quality, I used to run a lab of 30 G3s at a university, all of which I
upgraded with RAM from Crucial, and we never had any problems with it in
the year that I continued to work there.

I just did a google search for "powerbook memory" and turned up a few
places that have it for much cheaper.  Though I've never dealt with
them, Ramjet (www.ramjet.com) is one that sounds familiar to me as a
reputable name, and they've got Pismo 512MB modules for $149 plus $9
shipping.

Now, about the dilemma.  I don't know how current this information is,
but everymac says the beige G3 300 is worth $650-$750:

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_300_mt.html

Personally, I think I'd go with the G3 now, and get the pismo RAM later.
  But I don't know how urgent your RAM needs are.

Thomas