on 29/05/02 22:14, Matthew D. O'Conner at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I recently picked up a Wallstreet 300 and have now figured out how to
> file transfer using ethernet.  Very cool and very fast.  I am
> intrigued by the file synchronization feature but am leery of erasing
> all of my text files (I would do a back up first but still......?).
>
> This is a simple two computer network connected by ethernet cable.
> iMac 333/466 proc/512Mb Ram with OS 8.6 and Wallstreet 300/384Mb Ram
> with OS 9.2.
>
> Any comments?  How does that work?

Well, it's really simple. If you're talking about the "File Synchronization"
control panel provided with the system, there are 3 modes: synchronize, copy
source, copy destination. Synchronize will, like its name implies,
synchronize 2 folders, or 2 files. The most recent file will replace the
other one. If both files have been modified since the last synchronization,
you'll get an error and will have to manually make the copy. Same goes for
folder synchronization. If 2 items with the same name have been modified in
the source and in the destination since the last synchronization, you'll get
an error and will have to manually copy one of the file over. The copy
source, or synchronize source does what it says. It will copy all files in
the source to the destination. I think it will even delete any file in the
destination that are not in the source. The copy to destination is the
opposite of source, but same process. I'm calling them source and
destination, but they are really 2 different items, since both can replace
the other and serve as the source, while the other acts as a destination.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power.
Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer
microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO,
Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display
with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids
through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2.
[IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.