on 01/06/02 09:32, Amber Rhea at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Essentially, OS 9 will always try to open a document in the newest
>> version
>> of the application in question. As far as OS 9 is concerned, having
>> multiple versions of the same application is a recipe for trouble.
>
> If this is the case, then why do multiple versions of Internet Explorer,
> iTunes, and BBEdit reside happily on my hard drive?

AFAIK, the Finder associates documents to applications using the creator
code. Whatever is the first application (or version of such application) is
found in the desktop database is the one that the Finder will send
AppleEvent message to open said document.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.