> OK, here I come to save your minds
>
> x86 CPUs and 68k CPUs are both CISC (Complex Instructions Set
> Computing) and the 8500 (PPC CPUs) are RISC (Reduced Instruction Set
> Computing).
>
> is a 486 equal to that of a 8500? Um, no. But Kyle was saying that
> comparison for this reason:
>
> what was Apple releasing in 1995? the PowerMac 8500. I had a Quadra
> 900 that was made in 1991 that beats the pants off any 486 I have
> ever used.
>
> So, your strain of the thread is now dead as it has been explained to
> what needs to be explained. And, yes, the 8500 is about 4.5x faster
> than a 486 DX4-100.
>
> We are not comparing cars, but computers. I don't think there is a
> lowendcar.com, but Dan might want to look into that <g>

What I'm getting from this is that there is some confusing of the hardware
platforms and the operating systems.

What is magical about the year 1995?

No fooling, we're not comparing cars? Is analogy not permitted here?

But I won't strain the thread further; for that matter, I guess I needn't
read it further, since it's been explained to what needs to be explained,
whatever that means...

Travis