A follow-up on my iBot problem in case anyone is interested. OrangeMicro
says Pismos made before July 2000 are incompatible with their iBot
firewire web cam. I knew my Pismo was made around this time but didn't
know how to verify the manufacture date. Someone on this list suggested
looking on the DVD drive. Sure enough my DVD drive say July 2000. But
that didn't tell me if my firewire was compatible. I e-mailed
OrangeMicro and they told me to ask Apple. I called Apple and they
confirmed my manufacture date as July 15, 2000. That still didn't clear
up the question, so I pushed for more information. The guy put me on
hold for a while and came back with a reasonable answer. The firewire
chipset was updated in the Pismo around this time but they didn't keep
records of which serial numbers had which revision because it was a
"silent revision". I should check Apple System Profiler and see which
DVD drive I have. If it's a 6x with a serial number ending in MKE, it's
likely the older firewire chipset. If the DVD is an 8x with a serial
number ending in DRN it's likely the newer firewire chipset. But maybe
not and the only way to really tell is try the iBot. I'm at work, so I
can't check my Pismo, but if I have the newer DVD player I will give the
iBot a try. Even though it wasn't a definitive answer I was pretty happy
with Apple's response. OrangeMicro really should provide more help with
this.