>In the present, the serial number is kept on the logic board or
>processor card and is programmed into the replacements.

This appears to be mostly the case. My Pismo serial number was lost
during its first AppleCare service call, when the CPU card was
replaced for overheating. Oddly it was restored during subsequent
AppleCare service when the DVDROM drive was replaced.

FWIW I've swapped three hard drives through this unit; the serial
number hide-and-seek appears to have nothing to do with the hard
drive in use.
--
gadzikowski | [EMAIL PROTECTED]