While we're on the subject I'll tell you how screwed I got one time.
Before we moved to Montreal my Canadian girlfriend and I lived in
California. We were going to Quebec to her parents for Christmas. I
found some nice jewelry to get her for Christmas in a mail order
catalog. There wasn't enough time to have it delivered in California
before we left so I asked them if they could deliver it in Canada. No
problem. When UPS showed up at my in-laws house they wanted something
like 60% of the value of the item in tax before they would hand it over.
I was shocked and refused to pay. They UPS guy went away with the
package, I had my credit card block the charges and my girlfriend didn't
get a Christmas present that year.

That was back when I had the illusion that the US/Canada border was just
a formality.

Jim