> What can one display on the external monitor? Part of a program one is
> using, so that say a single  Excel spreadsheet is displayed in a
> split-fashion over two monitors or does dual-display allow one to open
> two different programs running on the Pismo with one of them displaying
> separately on the external monitor (e.g. two different spreadsheets).

All of the above.  When  using the extended desktop feature (video
mirroring off) you can have two separate spreadsheets (or what have you)
or you can make a window so big that it extends throughout the entire
desktop (which is spread throughout two monitors).  For this to work you
would have to go into the display system pane (in OS X) or the monitors
control panel and, with the "arrange" option make it so that the two
"desktops" are one on top of the other (or side by side if it's a very
wide document).

Play around with the configurations.  I mostly run my pismo with the top
closed and only use the external monitor (if you wake it from sleep
while the top is closed, or turn it on, and an external monitor is
connected it will see it and only use the external (before OS X 10.1.5
it would only work if you turned it on or restarted with the top closed
but with 10.1.5 I can now just wake it from sleep and it will work.)

Justin