This appears to be a known issue on these machines. My icebook has been
back to Apple twice over the hinge issue. When it first came back, all
was fine for a week, and then it came back. When I went to the Apple
store, the Mac Geniuses were claiming that the machines were supposed to
do that, and he then proceeded to show me a brand new 14" iBook with the
same problem. After I pressed him for a reason, he said it was because
the iBooks were "screwed too tight"

I've also seen about a dozen iBook 500/600s in for this issue. I used to
work part time at a Mac shop in Clearwater, FL. Though, the screen
casing will come apart from heavy usage. It's a ball buster to be
without your iBook for a week, but it's better than having the casing
come apart in your hands. Even after the second time, my machine's
casing is coming apart again. Damned Apple Quality Control. I have
enough horror stories about the CRT iMacs.

                                                                        ~ ian

                                                                                - Ian
R. Campbell

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]