On 6/23/02 2:30 PM vlad edified us all by writing:

[regarding AOL]

>they're the only ISP that doesn't ditch you after two hour connection
>here in UK...
Sorry to hear that - I've become spoiled, but only after switching ISP's
a couple of times last year (one even dropped their local dial-up without
bothering to notify users!). Guess you have to take the best of what you
can get. Does AOL-UK still do the hourly charges? That's one reason I
quit them (but not the only, I can assure you)...

>> Another thing to check which I've done (when my modem would have
>> connection difficulties) is to use Extensions Manager to turn off modem,
>> TCP/IP and Remote Access and then restart and turn them back on and
>> restart a second time. And/or trash the prefs files for those and/or
>> those for Internet CP prefs. Sometimes flaky things go away when you
>> ditch the preference files (or course, make sure you write down how all
>> those settings are, and yes, it is a pain).
>>

>how does one do that in os x (i mostly use os x)
I'll have to defer to our more updated associates here, as I've been
dragging my heels on going to X until (most of) the major bugs are worked
out (little things like reading DVDs on my Pismo's drive, drivers for my
Epson 740, and a few more).

My guess would be that if you can use Terminal to send Hayes-type
commands to your modem (i.e.:
ATH
ATZ
etc.), you could try resetting the modem that way. But as I said, I'm
only guessing, since I've not laid hands on any MacOS X yet. Anyone else
care to jump in here and help vlad?

Jim Rohde

One standard to rule them all, one standard to find them,
One standard to bring them all, and in darkness bind them.
In the land of Microsoft, where Shadows lie.