David Stephenson on 7/16/02 8:37 PM wrote:

> I have cable modem at home office now, but am interested in a cheap
> (preferably with local access nationwide ) ISP for occasional travel. I
> saw one pay-as-you-go one at Staples (buy a CD-ROM and then replenish
> the minutes as with a phone card) but it doesn't work with Macs (nor do
> they plan to do so).  Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap
> nationwide solution, or is my best alternative to buy a Wi-Fi card and
> look for warchalking signs on the sidewalk?
> Thanks,
> David Stephenson

My ISP (I have DSL) offers a toll-free number for dialup when I'm away from
home. The first hour is free (per month) and a minimal charge per minute
after that (I haven't exceeded an hour yet and don't recall the fee).

When travelling I've set my dialup connection to disconnect after 5 minutes
idle. Of course I log on to check/download mail and then disconnect to read
and compose replies so as not to waste online time.

You might check to see if your ISP offers a toll-free number or a national
list of local dialup numbers to use while traveling before going to the
expense of a second ISP.

I would also think that your cable ISP offers a local dialup number in the
event of an outage or when you're mobile around town. You could use this
number when travelling, although you would incur long distance charges. But
then, you were going to pay for a second ISP anyhow so use those funds
instead to pay for long distance. I'll bet you could even get a cheap
calling-card service to work in conjunction with your dialup.

-makmac