> Now that the cat is out of the bag, what people are thinking about Apple
> charging the full retail price ($129) to get the 10.2 update?

If you listened to the earning's report yesterday and looked through their
financials, you could kind of see it coming.

They're doing it for 3 reasons:

1) they're looking at a loss in the current quarter- which means any little
bit helps if it will be a small loss. If you believe apple's statistics,
there are 2.5 million active OSX users. If 5% of them preorder 10.2, that's
~$16.1 million. Helps the bottom line, when you consider the xserve so far
will net them ~20 million.

Ties into the above, but none of apple's products are doing that great right
now. Xserve hasn't met expectations (4000 sold, not as much as they
thought), the educational market is extremely weak for a lot of reasons, the
iMacs aren't selling that well and tower sales are way, way down.

They'll come back, but innovation takes time and they've painted themselves
into a bit of a corner. Any bit of revenue helps right now.

> Personally, since Apple is still trying to build momentum for OS X, I think
> it's a bad decision...

I'd agree with you- I'm in the camp that believes OSX is awesome but that
apple shipped a beta quality product. Free updates (or $19.95) until OSX was
just plain kick ass would be awesome in terms of customer relations.

But because adoption hasn't been huge, the upgrade cost will hopefully be an
incentive for those on "marginal" OSX-able machines to upgrade to a new
machine, and tap into the users who depend on OSX and need the upgrade bad.
The real ones getting screwed are those who bought a new iMac or computer
just a bit ago and now have to pay for the upgrade in order to scan.

Basically though, apple is doing it because they can.

Michael Bryan Bell